|"Barlow Cutoff", Oregon, W.H. Jackson circa 1865|
We are sitting with this koan today, to see if any of the 12 Steps take hold. As this evening played out, we saw how the word home is deeply evocative.
Part 1: I began by stating many of ways home is used:
It’s a residence, domicile, or house
- · A social unit
- · Habitat (home range of antelope)
- · One’s own country,
- · Headquarters (Home of the SF Giants)
- · Home safe! As in baseball
- · I have a home group in AA
- · Where you live, eat and sleep.
- · Where you are relaxed and comfortable.
- · Where you’re in harmony with the surroundings.
- · Where you can be with yourself, and have privacy.
- · Where you’ll find loved ones.
- · Where friends come for a visit.
- · Where we tell someone that I’m going home.
- · Where we tell someone that I am home.
- · Where we tell ourselves that I can hardly wait to be home.
- · Hearing the truth really struck home.
- · Out of jeopardy, I’m home free.